Help during Coronavirus

Please look at the FAQs below. If you still need help please email the office on or call the Grasvenor Project phone- this number is for parents and carers only and has been shared via letter. 

For COVID-19 updates, information about medical help, social distancing and isolation please check for the most current advice at

Food Related Help:

My child received Free School Meals -how can I get help with meals now?

Children who are eligible for free school meals, not the universal free meals open to all pupils at Grasvenor, have been contacted and offered food packs during the week. These will be collected from school or Underhill on a weekly basis.

Children qualify for free school meals – and accordingly pupil premium – if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Universal credit (provided you have a net income of £7400 or less)

  • Income support

  • Income-based jobseekers’ allowance

  • Income-related employment and support allowance

  • Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

  • The guaranteed element of state pension credit

  • Child tax credit, provided that you are not also entitled to working tax credit and have an annual gross income of £16,190 or less

These benefits have now been rolled into a single benefit, called Universal Credit. 

Universal Credit is being rolled out, with an expected completion date of March 2022. All pupils who were eligible for free school meals up to April 2018 will continue to receive free school meals during this period.

You can find out more here:

I think I am eligible but have not been contacted by school? My circumstances have changed during COVID-19- am now eligible?

All the children eligible at the last check have already been contacted. You can check your eligibility here if your circumstances have changed:

If you are now receiving universal credit or other help you might be now eligible for Free School Meals . Please email the school office on

I don't think I am eligible but I am struggling to feed my child

Please let us know urgently if you are struggling to afford food. We may be able to help with food bank vouchers. or offer other assistance depending on your case. 

You can find out more about government financial support for those affected by COVID-19 at

I have heard about vouchers- where is my supermarket voucher?

The DfE voucher scheme is only for those eligible for free school meal pupils, not every child. The vouchers can only be claimed through school if the catering company cannot supply food. Our catering company is still operating at this time and food packs are being made available to those eligible. We cannot provide vouchers as a preference to the food packs. 

School Closure:

Is school still open?

Yes and no! During the closure the DfE has urged schools to remain open for the children of key workers, children with EHCPs and also vulnerable children. We undertook a questionnaire to ascertain the need in our school community and identified a small group of parents eligible for childcare. We further urged all parents that where at all possible they should aim to keep their child at home with them or another suitable person. We feel that in most cases this is the safest option for our pupils, parents and staff. This is in line with guidance and we feel that maintaining social distancing, washing objects after each child and ensuring 1:1 support for children with EHCPs cannot be guaranteed at this time due to staffing and the young age of our pupils. 

DfE guidance for schools states:

'Parents whose work is critical to the COVID-19 response include those who work in health and social care and in other key sectors outlined below. Many parents working in these sectors may be able to ensure their child is kept at home. And every child who can be safely cared for at home must be.

Please, therefore, follow these key principles:

  1. If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they must be.

  2. If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent who is a critical worker, then educational provision will be available for them.

  3. Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.

  4. Parents must also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They must observe the same social distancing principles as adults.

  5. Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible.

If your work is critical to the COVID-19 response, or you work in one of the critical sectors listed below, and you cannot keep your child safe at home then your children will be prioritised for education provision'


You can see the full guidance at:

Who is a key worker?

  • Health and social care- Frontline health and social care staff such as doctors, nurses, midwives, paramedics, as well as support and specialist staff in the health and social care sector. In addition it includes those working in supply chains including producers and distributors of medicines and personal protective equipment.

  • Education and childcare- Nursery, teaching staff and social workers.

  • Key public services- Those required to run the justice system, religious staff, as well as those responsible for managing the deceased, and journalists providing public service broadcasting.

  • Local and national government-Administrative occupations essential to the effective delivery of the Covid-19 response or delivering essential public services, including payment of benefits.

  • Food and other necessary goods- Those involved in the production, processing, distribution, sale and delivery of food.

  • Public safety and national security- Police, support staff, Ministry of Defence civilian staff and armed forces personnel, fire and rescue staff, and those responsible for border security, prisons and probation.

  • Transport- Those who will keep air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the Covid-19 response.

  • Utilities, communication and financial services- Staff required to keep oil, gas, electricity, water and sewerage operations running. Staff in the civil nuclear, chemical and telecommunications sectors. Those in postal services and those working to provide essential financial services

Are you working with other professionals as normal?

Where relevant we will continue to work (via email and phone) with social workers and other professionals to decide the safest option for our more vulnerable families or those with EHCPs. We acknowledge that decisions around individual pupils may change as the closure continues. We have been working closely with the school advisors in Barnet and ensuring we are up to date with the latest announcements and guidance. As you are likely aware, these updates are rapidly changing as the pandemic develops and government decisions are made.


Will key worker provision continue if schools are closed for longer than a few weeks? 

At this time we will continue to provide care for those most in need and will do so for as long as we are able to staff it and it is considered safe. The Trust retains the overall decision to close the school, if such a necessity should arise. 


Is the provision open over Easter?

Due to having a zero register for the first week of the holidays we have decided to shut the school during this week. We will open again for eligible children from Tuesday 14th April 2020. 

When will schools open again for all pupils?

At this time we have not been given a date for when schools will be open again. We have not been given any 'secret' information - we know as much as you do in terms of timelines for reopening! We will of course keep you up to date as the situation evolves. We feel we need to prepare ourselves that schools may be closed for several more weeks or even longer. 

What work should I be doing with my child?

We have sent information about Seesaw to all parents/ carers. We encourage children to access the learning on Seesaw regularly and ask that each child completes 2 learning activities a day- this does not have to be only work set by school. We have sent home many ideas for activities you could do- please see the letters emailed to parents recently. There is also some home learning available above on the Home Learning tab. Please email the office or class teacher if you are having problems with set learning or have questions. 


Barnet Council Help:

For information about how Barnet Council are working to support residents, communities and businesses, and the latest advice about council services visit:

If you, a family member, friend, or close member of your community are in need of urgent help that is not medical related, contact: 
or call 0808 281 3210.

Further Help:

Some of the organisations below may be able to support you at this time. 

Anxiety and Mental Health Support:

For adults:

Big White Wall -

Anxiety uk -

Samaritans -  Telephone: 116 123 (24 hours a day, free to call)

SHOUT - Text: 85258 Website:

For children:

Childline-   Call- 0800 1111



Child Bereavement UK- 

Spiritual help:

Email prayer service from a local Christian community - St Peter's Bourne: